A Preview into an Upcoming Self Defense Class at FHS

Lauren Ballinger, Writer

Franklin High School’s Girl Up will be hosting a Self Defense Class this Monday, March 25 from 2:05-3:30 in the FHS Gym. Every student is welcome, regardless of gender, and the event is free.

With self-defense tactics inspired by jiu jitsu and kickboxing, this class is open to anyone interested in learning a few quick moves to help get out of any sticky situation.

Members of Girl Up have been working on advertising and planning this event for the last month and a half, and many of them are excited to finally see it come to life.

Club member Sophie Kripp stated: “I hope that this event will make people feel like they own their bodies.”

She went on to discuss how she felt self-defense could be an important learning tool for her peers to help them feel empowered and take care of themselves.

When brainstorming this event, Girl Up was careful to make sure that the class was focused entirely on the promotion of self-protection.

“It wasn’t supposed to be a fundraiser, it wasn’t supposed to be anything Girl Up specific, it was just a fun thing to get involved in that Girl Up [could] bring,” explained Club President Samiha Rao.

For anyone interested in attending, here are a few key bits of information necessary to participate:

-FOR STUDENTS YOUNGER THAN 18: You must print out a waiver and bring it home for your parents to sign. Waivers can be found on Girl Up’s Google Classroom (code: 9x7px10).

-FOR STUDENTS 18+: You can sign a waiver at the event.