Would This Make You “Go Vegan”?

The mother of 21-year-old shark attack victim says PETA has gone “over the top” with their campaign in response to the incident.

Last Saturday, while spear-fishing near Anna Marie Island, 21-year-old C.J. Wickersham, of Longboat Key, Florida, was bitten by a bull shark. PETA, an animal rights group, had something to say about it. In response to the attack they released a campaign ad that stated “Payback is hell. Go vegan.”

In an interview with FoxNews.com Ella Wickersham, C.J.’s mom, stated, “I’m not even going to dignify them with a response. It’s not even worth my response. They are over the top. If they don’t want to eat meat and fish, good for them; you can do whatever you want, and I’ll do what I want.”

Ashley Byrne, a representative of PETA, says that they still plan to use this advertisement, even though it upsets the family, and are currently in search of a place to put up a billboard. “We’re still trying to find the best spot that would give maximum exposure at the best rates,” Byrne said. “With the shark attack in the news, we thought it’d be a good time to remind people that sharks are not the world’s biggest predator — we are.”

Ms. Wickersham still remains indifferent about the ad as her son, who needed almost 800 stitches to his leg, is still healing. It is said C.J. will make a full recovery.