Is Homework really Beneficial to Students?

This debate has gone on for many years now, is homework a waste of time? The last thing that students want to do when they come home from a long day at school is sit down and do more work. Some kids also have other sports commitments and struggle to find the time to complete the homework. Sometimes they end up staying up all night and do not get enough sleep if they are committed to sports. Also if they have a test to study for they have to try to work that in there as well.

Do teachers really need to assign homework when we just spent half the day sitting in class listening to the material? I think that it is a waste of time. Half the time students do not even do the homework or do it before class starts so they are not really understanding or paying attention to the material. Homework is just a time consuming process that no one wants to do, our work in school should be enough. Sometimes you can have a huge work load and become stressed out which is not good for anyone’s health.

Giving homework is a poor way to find out if students are getting the material or to give them practice.  Teachers can find out if students are “understanding the material” from their tests and quizzes. If a student is not getting the material it should be up to them to go to the teacher and get help.