DECA…Done?

As many students throughout FHS are aware, there has been recent conflict between the school administration and Franklin’s DECA store.

Over the last few years, DECA has been hit with several detrimental blows to revenue and availability, including: not being able to open lunch, not being able to sell candy or soda, not being able to sell to students who are in classes, and ultimately not being able to open each morning. DECA is unable to even open to sell breakfast due to the introduction of the cafeteria’s breakfast bars.

However, many students feel the school’s breakfast lacks variety and value. One bagel and a small drink costs $1.75, while at DECA, a full-sized Gatorade, Sunny D, Arizona, etc and an Elizabeth’s bagel with cream cheese costs $2.00. If you ask me, I’d say you get more bang for your buck at DECA.

Putting value and variety aside, the DECA store is also an integrated part of contemporary Franklin High School. DECA has been around longer than most students realize, and has become part of FHS itself. Closing down DECA is a blow a part of the school itself, especially since DECA is operated by FHS students.

As a student-run organization, DECA revenue helps finance Marketing students’ trips to District, State, and International Competitions. With open hours from 7:00-2:05 last year (except lunch), DECA was able to subsidize student costs greatly.

The cost of State Competitions last year was about $200, while the International Competition cost around $300. This year, without funding, State Competitions will cost upwards of $500, and Internationals estimated around $800.

The store is the main contributor to the costs of these events. Without funding, many students will not be able to go based on the sheer cost. If this becomes the case, many students will lose a precious opportunity to gain honors, recognition, and relationships with businesses. These can help students get into schools, and even gain job opportunities for their careers.

The school is not only taking away from an integrated part of the school’s community. They are limiting students’ options for food, monopolizing food sales at the high school. Without competition, the school would be able to raise costs of food for students.

DECA’s low prices can help keep the school’s prices low as well. Also, DECA helps finance Marketing students that go to competitions, which help them gain opportunities to become part of business communities and reach out to those who are in positions to help the students later in life.