What Do You Want To Be When You’re Older?

It seems as though we students are asked this question almost everyday, and for most of us we have the exact same answer, “I have no idea”.

Some of you on the otherhand, do have an idea of what you want to do in the future, and if you do you are extremely lucky.

It seems as though we are expected to know or have an idea of what we want to do when we are older but fact is majority of us do not. However, this is odd because we are all attending college in a few years in which we have to chose something to major in, in order to later succeed in that field.

I am not saying that it is bad to go undecided to college because majority of students decided to go undecided in college. But wouldn’t it be a whole lot easier if we knew exactly what we wanted to do in the future, and know what type of jobs are out there in the world? And why exactly are there so many students that do go undecided into college?

According to Guidance Counselor Mr. MacCreery, guidance has not seen a difference in the acceptance rate between those who go undecided and those who know what they want to major in.

“Going undecided does not improve nor worsen your chances of getting into a college. You get into a school first, then decide you major. Being a strong student will get you into a college, not your major.”

Well, there is simply one answer to why so manyu students go undecided. High schools don’t inform their students of all the millions and millions of jobs and types of jobs that are available in our crazy modern world.

As a high school student, when I think of jobs I could possibly go into, the only ones that come up are the stereotypical ones; lawyer, doctor, nurse, engineer, teacher…thats it.

If we were informed of all the types of jobs out there, more students would be able to specify with college they wanted to go to, their classes in college which leads them to come out with a better education in what they want to do with the rest of their life!

I have to say that I am pretty disappointed in how not only our school but other schools fail to educate us in todays modern work areas. It’s kind of sad that we have to go on the internet or read a book in order to find out the details of a specific job. These sort of life determining subjects should be 100% interactive due to the fact that this decision impacts the rest of your life!

A suggestion I have that I hope can later be considered is something like a “Career Day”. I mean we have this huge field house where so many tables can fit, why not! This career day would consist of a variety of majors such as nursing, doctor, engineering, architecture etc, however there would be multiple people in each of these categories, all of which do completely different things!

Now students can interact with this person, look at handouts, and get a good idea about what they do and maybe become interested in it!

I am sure there are a lot of people who would not mind coming in and standing at a table and trying to get the high school students to persue the same job they did!

But, this probaly won’t happen so here’s a very helpful site which gives you categroies and more categories within careers in the world.

Another way to find out some career pathways you might be into is by taking a career quiz which will eventually lead you to a possible college major!

Heres one of the quizzes.

FHS students responded to the idea of a career day and how they feel about their unknown future.

Junior, Annie Corak is one of the lucky ones when it comes to her future.

“I know I want to go into some sort of major having to do with film. I realized I loved this kind of stuff on my on time in an out of school class I take. On the otherhand, I know so many people that do not know what they want to do even with taking a class out of school that they enjoy.” Corak says.

Junior Meghan Morrison is in a completely differet situation than Annie Corak.

“I can honestly say I have no idea what I want to do. I haven’t really been exposed to what kind of jobs are out there right now and what is going to be popularly demanded in the next 20 years.”

It wouldn’t hurt to know or have a pretty good idea of what you want to study in college and do in the future. However, we are still really young and should be enjoying our college experience.