Crash The Party

Picture yourself on Tuesday, November 6th 2012 on your way to the FHS Field House to cast your vote for the next President of the United States. You step inside the voting booth, and when you glance at the ballot, you realize don’t want to cast your vote for either the Republican or Democratic candidate; checking either box would be casting a vote for the lesser of two evils, casting your vote for someone you don’t support 100%. You’re dissatisfied. You want another option.

You’re not alone.

Americans Elect is an organization that wants to give you a third option. They are comprised of a group of people that is sick of the bitter partisanship that is halting this country’s success. They believe, along with a lot of other people in this country, that the system that we have now makes it almost impossible for us to choose the best possible candidate.

In order to get elected in a primary, the candidates have to run to the left or to the right, depending on what party they are. This means that the Republican candidates try to appeal to the die-hard conservatives (because they are the only ones who they can count on to vote) and the Democratic candidates try to appeal to the die-hard liberals (for the same reason).

Personally, I think that a moderate candidate, such as Jon Huntsman (who unfortunately dropped out of the race) would be best suited for the job. But because the candidates are forced to appeal to the base of their party, which is much more extreme, a moderate candidate won’t stand a chance. This is where Americans Elect comes in.

They desire to give America another option. They want citizens to pick a President based on their values and beliefs, NOT because of the party they belong to. They want the decision to be very personal; they ask you hundreds of questions and show you how your answers match up with other members and candidates.

Americans Elect also allows Americans to avoid the complicated mess that is the Electoral College, and directly nominate a President. And the best part is, it’s all online and easy to become a member! Sign up for Americans Elect here!

Come crash the party! You pick the important issues, the best candidates, and ultimately decide your future.