The Truth Behind Stem Cells

Stem Cell Research often has a negative connotation because of the misconceptions people have about the procedures, but these misconceptions do have some truth to them.

In biological terms, embryonic stem cells have a virtually unlimited future. Given the right signals, these stem cells can be taught to grow into any specialized cells in the human body, from brain cells to heart muscle.

“I think we should fund it, it can save lives. I don’t see the issue really, as to why we shouldn’t study it” says Matt Donadio FHS junior.

In light of negative shadow the media has cast on abortion, the magnificent healing abilities of stem cells are often overlooked as unethical.

“I think it’s ethical, because I don’t see a better option for the embryos. This way they cure disease, instead of being wasted I guess.” says Jessica Lambiase Franklin High Junior.

Well it is true that actual embryos are studied for their unique cells, the embryos they use are donated embryos from previous in vitro fertilization. These embryos would otherwise be disposed of.

Based on this fact alone, true “Pro-Lifers” would see enough value in donating the embryos to research rather than just simply disposing of the “possible child.”

People get upset at the “possibility of life” being destroyed in the process of Stem Cell Research but these embryos have no heart beat, and were created in a culture.

The eggs have no biological attachments but even that doesn’t stop people from being upset at the prospects of embryonic research.

These eggs have two possible futures, to be thrown away, or used to save millions of people. A majority of America is pro-choice and don’t view stem cell research negatively, and even though these pro-life organizations are gaining momentum it doesn’t mean we shouldn’t make scientific progress.

Some people who view Stem Cell Research as a negative thing because of the embryonic research that is being conducted don’t realize there are also Adult Stem Cells.

These Adult Cells, while considered to be less effective by certain tissues it can regenerate, would be less likely to reject the transplant because it is using the donor’s DNA in the donor’s body.

This gives Stem Cell Research an upper hand in the world of medicine, because the cells are less likely to be rejected by the immune system. Immune system rejection can only be counteracted by numerous amount of pills that cause awful side effects.

While Stem Cell Research isn’t the answer to all the medicinal world problems it is a research that should not be overlooked.

The possible diseases that Stem Cells treat in the near future include, Spinal cord injury, Diabetes, Heart Disease, Parkinson’s Disease, Alzheimer’s Disease, Lou Gehrig’s  Disease, and many more.

If not for a sick family member, or for specific person it is inherent that we at least lift  the negativity from the research to help the next generation make progress in cures that we cannot.

Is Stem Cell Research ethical?