Rise In Head Injuries

In the world of sports, at all levels, the rise of concussions has become a huge problem. High school, college, and professional levels have had an increased number in head trauma injury the last few years.

Why is it this?

“Concussions are on a rise because there are just some players in all sports who are just out there head hunting,” said Junior Varsity hockey player Joe Corsi.

What is a concussion?

According to WebMD, A concussion is a type of traumatic brain injury that is caused by a blow to the head or body, a fall, or another injury that jars or shakes the brain inside the skull.

Is the rise because the lack of technique? Or is it just that the players are defensive less?

In Football, the rate of Concussions has risen because the amount of contact to the head during games. Many defensive players try to land a huge hit by leaving their feet and by this it leaves the wide receiver defensive less. NFL officials have tried to lock down on the head hitting enforcing penalties as well as fines to the players.

On the back of all football helmets, there is a warning label that states: NO HELMET CAN PREVENT SERIOUS HEAD OR NECK INJURIES A PLAYER MIGHT RECEIVE WHILE PARTICIPATING IN FOOTBALL. Do not use this helmet to butt, ram or spear an opposing player. This is in violation of the football rules and such use can result in severe head or neck injuries, paralysis or death to you and possible injury to your opponent. Contact in football may result in CONCUSSION-BRAIN INJURY which no helmet can prevent. Symptoms include: loss of consciousness or memory, dizziness, headache, nausea or confusion. If you have symptoms, immediately stop playing and report them to your coach, trainer and parents. Do not return to a game or practice until all symptoms are gone and you have received medical clearance. Ignoring this warning may lead to another and more serious or fatal brain injury.

In Hockey, many concussions have been because of just plain cheap shots. At all levels, the amount of hitting from behind or blindside hits have largely increase over the past few years.

“This season in general I’ve had a head ache after at least half the games from being hit from behind,” Said Corsi.

How is this rate being tested and treated for?

“Before each season, Franklin High School makes every single student athlete take the ImPact test before participating in a sport,” Said Trainer Jen.

“The ImPact testing is a series of tests that work the brain with memorization and motor skills, no player is allowed to return to those sporting activities until all symptoms are cleared. These athletes now-a-days are not taught to keep their head up as much as they use to be just being reminded every so often.,” said TJ.

Concussions are on a rise because of the amount of player leading with their head has increased as well as the amount of blindside hits has increased in sports like Hockey and Football.

The amount of Concussions will continue to rise for a good amount of time.