The New Franklin High School: Laying It All Out

In four short months, the new Franklin High School will be open and school will begin.  This will mark a new beginning as well as a major shift for the students of Franklin High School.

Over the next several weeks, Pantherbook will be publishing a number of articles highlighting the new school and preparing students and faculty for the move.  

Today, we will focus on the basic layout of the building and where most people will be generally housed.

To simplify things, let’s first get a sense of direction.  The current High School sits to the north of the new school.  The turf field is on the southern end and the parking lots will be to the east of the new school.

The first floor of the school will be home to a number of departments, offices, etc. At the northern entrance is the Principal’s office (circular tower) and across the way is the library (square tower).  

Along the large rectangular academic area, students will find Guidance, and the majority of the electives.

On the southern end of the school is the gym, locker rooms, 800 seat auditorium, band room and cafeteria (southwest corner).

The second floor will be the home base for Seniors (Class of 2015) and Juniors (Class of 2016).

Seniors will have most of their English, Math, Science, Social Studies, and Foreign Language classes on the east side of the building closest to the front of the school.  

Juniors will have most of their English, Math, Science, Social Studies, and Foreign Language classes on the west side of the building closest to the back of the school.

The Second floor will also be home to the 100 seat lecture hall.

The third floor will be the home to the Sophomores (Class of 2017) and Freshmen (Class of 2018) as well as the Franklin Arts Academy.

Sophomores will have most of their English, Math, Science, Social Studies, and Foreign Language classes on the east side of the building closest to the front of the school.  

Freshmen will have most of their English, Math, Science, Social Studies, and Foreign Language classes on the west side of the building closest to the back of the school.

The design of the new school was the end product of a year long study of traffic flow and the educational goals of Franklin High School.  Under this design, most students will have four or more classes all on the same floor, significantly reducing travel time between classes.

About the Contributor