Join the Cause and Connect 4 Cancer

C4C members at the Hope Lodge last year.

Sophie Lyons, Writer

Connect 4 Cancer Club returns for its 4th year with lots of volunteer opportunities for any who want to take part.

Connect 4 Cancer is a national club created in 2012 created to give students a voice in the cancer community. Franklin High School works with multiple organizations to fundraise and bring awareness to those fighting this disease.

Connect 4 Cancer is a perfect opportunity for community service hours for freshman or sophomore students because of the countless number of fundraisers available to participate in.

Even if you aren’t looking for hours, Sophie Papa explained how much fun these events are.

“They give you an opportunity to connect with patients and understand the hardships they are facing on a day to day basis,” she said. “They are so thankful for things that we take for granted.”

Connect 4 Cancer works to raise money for organizations like The American Cancer Association and Dana Farber.

Last year Connect 4 Cancer had multiple fundraising walks that members handed out waters and food at. More walks are available for sign up this year.

Club members went to the Hope Lodge last year and cooked spaghetti dinner for patients and their families and a select group went to the state house for Lobby Day to raise the age of purchasing tobacco from 18 to 21.

The Cancer Awareness Walks and Hope Lodge visit will be available for sign up again this year. To sign up for events and to get more information the the club and possible community service opportunities just visit a meeting and get the Google Classroom code from Nicole or Teerith.

On the classroom you can find google docs with sign up spots for different events, Papa advises those interested to join fast, spots fill quickly!

Connect 4 cancer also works through the school, there will be 2 bake sales to look for during the year which will donate all earnings to one of the cancer awareness organizations.

Last year’s members also sold lollipops after school and before sporting events, this fundraiser isn’t confirmed to be coming back, but sign ups to work the stands will also be found on classroom when they get closer.

You can join co presidents Nicole Sparages and Teerith Pasricha right after school in room 218 on certain Wednesdays of the month. Follow @fhs_c4c on twitter to get updates whenever a new meeting is planned. All are welcome at any point throughout the year, Board Member Sophie Papa says the more the merrier.

In the near future members will be making holiday cards for children battling cancer, they will be discussing future volunteer opportunities and reflecting on past events.

All students are welcome. Papa hopes members will learn how precious life is and will see the importance of helping others by joining the club.