Franklin High School Theatre to Present Miracle on 34th Street

Emma Nicholson, Writer

The Franklin High School Theatre Department will present Miracle on 34th Street Wednesday December 19th and Thursday December 20th at 7 PM.

A Christmas classic, Miracle on 34th Street tells the story of a young girl’s disbelief of Santa Claus that is changed upon encounters with a man named Kris Kringle-who is convinced that he is Santa. It is a story of acceptance and love during the Christmas time.

Directed by Marushka Waters, the production features students involved in the drama club and theatre classes. The lead role of Kris Kringle will be played by Senior Micah Levine, with the principle roles of Doris Walker played by Senior Krissy Stoyanova, Fred Gayley played by Junior Declan Fields, and Susan Walker played by Freshman Lily Antonellis. Also featured is a group from the FHS chamber chorus that will perform singing “What the World Needs Now is Love Sweet Love,” a song that is part of the re-envisioned idea for the show.

This production is one of great magnitude and is not an easy show to perform. “In a million years I never saw myself directing Miracle on 34th street,” says director Ms. Waters. “While perusing play options last spring, several of my students brought to my attention the script of Miracle and asked if we could do it. I knew at the time that I might have to prove the legality of performing a play that is supposedly about Christmas, in a public school. I quickly did some research and found from the Rutherford Institute that performing this show is indeed legal under their specifications.”

In regards to her vision for the show Ms. Waters says,”When I read the script, I focused on what I thought were two of the main messages of the play: First, consumerism during the holidays should take a back seat to family and love. I also thought that the play makes a strong statement in support of women. In the 1940’s when the film came out, one of the leads was a single mother with an executive position in the Macy’s corporation.”

The Franklin High School production will reflect these values. Ms. Waters says “I wanted to expand upon these initial observations to make a statement about the social unrest facing not only our country, but our world. I have always felt strongly that religions and nationalities should be explored and embraced. In our multicultural society, one thing remains true: family and traditions. We hope you enjoy and recognize through our set design and costuming that as the human race, we are one.”

This talented cast of Franklin High School students have been working long and hard on this show, since the beginning of the year. Their hard work will be paying off this week.

Tickets will be $5 for students and $12 for adults. Additionally, as a part of his Eagle Scout project Declan Fields will be collecting a variety of hygiene items in the lobby during the show, including shampoo, feminine products, soap, and toothpaste, to be donated to local Women’s shelters. Donations of these items will reduce ticket price by $1 per item.

Please come support the cast, crew, and creative team of Miracle on 34th Street this Wednesday or Thursday evening!