iPhone 11: Is It Worth the Upgrade?

Amanda Wylie, Writer

Apple recently unveiled a trio of new iPhones: the iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, and iPhone 11 Pro Max. All three were released on September 20.

The iPhone 11 costs $699, considerably cheaper than Apple’s typical prices for new-generation phones. The Pro rings in at $999, while the pricier Pro Max sells for $1,449.

The most notable new feature is the additional rear cameras. The iPhone 11 has two rear cameras, while the Pro and Pro Max boast three each. The second camera allows you to zoom in further than ever, while the third enables you to take ultra-wide photos.

An array of new cases made to fit the unique shape of the iPhone 11 line’s cameras.

More photography upgrades include night photography, slow-mo selfies, and increased video editing capabilities.

Emily Cesa, sophomore, says, “I like photography, so these new features seem cool. But at the same time, I don’t think it’s worth the price when I could just use my digital camera. If you are thinking of buying one of the new iPhones just for the camera, you may as well just buy yourself a real camera.”

Gamers will want to note that all three phones contain an A13 bionic processor, which basically means that mobile graphics for games will appear more impressive than ever.

Add new colors, increased battery life, and better waterproofing to the mix, and you’ve got a tough decision to make. Should you upgrade your phone?

“No!” says sophomore Lilly Kripp. “It looks like a stovetop. If I was going to buy anything, I’d get the iPhone X. I feel like they are upgrading things that don’t need to be upgraded.”

Sammi Wong, also a sophomore, expressed a similar sentiment. “It looks ugly. The extra cameras look like spider eyes. I’ll stick with my iPhone 6. They haven’t updated much anyways.”

Updates from generation to generation of iPhone may seem minimal, but the iPhone has completely changed over time. Check out the video below for more information on the evolution of the iPhone.