New Restaurant Not a Hit With Franklin Students

Amanda Wylie

Sierra’s Brick Oven Pizza and Pub is within walking distance of Franklin High School, but doesn’t seem geared towards the teenage demographic.

Amanda Wylie, Writer

At 10:55 AM on Friday, January 17, Franklin High School students raced out of the building. As with all half-days, many of these students flocked to the Franklin Plaza to grab some lunch. Fast-casual eateries like Panera and Chipotle quickly filled up, but one restaurant remained comparatively empty: Sierra’s Brick Oven Pizza and Pub.

Sierra’s is the new kid on the block, having just opened on January 4, but the hype quickly wore off. It has already raked up a multitude of 1-star reviews on popular sites like Yelp, with many critiquing the restaurant’s extremely slow service and the inconsistency in the quality of their pizza.

“Waited almost over an hour for a terrible, soupy pizza with raw pepperoni!” complained one online reviewer. “A bunch of people were mad about how long it takes for pizza.”

Amanda Wylie
Customers order and receive their food at the counter, but can choose to sit at a table, booth, high-top, or at the counter itself.

Pantherbook was determined to find out the truth behind these critics’ statements.

When one walks in to Sierra’s, the first thing they notice is the decor. It is strikingly similar to that of its predecessor (Noodles and Co.), the only difference being the numerous blank canvases that once featured Noodles-branded photographs. Despite the lack of creativity, the space is enjoyable, with great lighting and a variety of seating options (tables, high-tops, booths, and a counter).

The menu is very diverse, but the prices were notably high. $15 was not sufficient to purchase a pasta bolognese lunch with a bottled drink. Pantherbook went ahead and ordered the meal (which also included a cup of clam chowder), as well as a gluten-free cheese pizza.

Amanda Wylie
Sierra’s kept the small chalkboard for featured menu items that had been installed by Noodles.

About 15 minutes after ordering, an apologetic waitress informed us that the bolognese could not be served on the side as requested, since it was premixed with the pasta. This was not a problem, save for the fact that it meant the meal was pre-made, something not expected at a relatively expensive family-owned restaurant.

After a notable wait, the pasta and soup were ready to be picked up from the counter. The gluten-free pizza, which had been ordered at the same time, came out about 10 minutes later.

In terms of taste, the clam chowder was decent. The pasta was a huge portion, but only a few bites were taken, since the dish was relatively flavorless and cold. The gluten-free pizza was relatively well-received.

Amanda Wylie For this review, Pantherbook sampled the pasta bolognese, clam chowder, and gluten-free cheese pizza.

“It was pretty good considering it was gluten-free. It didn’t taste like cardboard!” notes sophomore Emily Cesa.

When asked whether she’d ever go back, Emily replied, “I’d honestly rather go to somewhere less pricey like Chipotle or just order a pizza at home.”

To establish a foothold in Franklin’s oversaturated pizza market, Sierra’s needs to start catering to the nearby high school audience. The fact that it is consistently empty during lunch and dinner time does not bode well for the restaurant’s future.