Do you know two or more languages? Apply for the Seal of Biliteracy.

Amulya Chirravuri, Writer

Join google classroom using the code: 3zbjdci for the application process and additional information.

What is the Seal of Biliteracy?

It is an award given at graduation to students who excel in English and other non-English languages such as Spanish, French, and many more. 

Requirements.

For English requirements: students will prove proficiency in English by meeting language arts requirements for graduation or displaying knowledge on a validated test of proficiency for English learners such as grade 10 MCAS or Next-Gen MCAS

For non-English Language requirements: students must score a minimum equivalent to Intermediate-High on a state-approved assessment and for languages that do not have a really available state-approved test, students can make a portfolio exhibiting proficiency in the language’s relevant skills such as listening, speaking, reading, and writing.

The deadline for applications is March 10th, 2021.

Application google form: https://forms.gle/5eAynT547Z9nkCzp8 

Check out the FHS Seal of Biliteracy website: https://franklinsealofbiliteracy.weebly.com/requirements.html for more information.

“It recognizes the value of language diversity”

“Offering the MA State Seal of Biliteracy has positive social and economic impacts… We as a State and school district are formally recognizing that the linguistic skills of these students are indeed valuable…it honors the multiple cultures and languages of our community, and it recognizes the value of language diversity” says Laura Evans, a Spanish teacher as well as the head of the World Language Department at FHS. 

This allows for students at FHS “to highlight their linguistic skills on the job, college, and university applications because upon graduation students will have the MA State Seal of Biliteracy affixed to their high school transcript.” Ms. Evans further explains when asked how this will impact the lives of the many bilingual students at franklin high school.  She also goes on to say how  “this provides potential employers with a method of identifying people with language and biliteracy skills, which are desired and necessary in our growing global society.” By attaining this award many students can highlight their bilingual skills on their high school transcript and resume/job application. “This certification provides a long-term goal and incentive for studying a non-English language beyond the benefit of being able to communicate with more people worldwide and appreciate diverse cultures.”