Why Return To In-Person Learning?

Creative Commons

All about in-person learning, and why students chose to return,

Avery Chalk, Writer

With the chaos Covid-19 has brought around the globe, it’s no surprise that schools have been swept up in the whirlwind. But at last, the tornado finally seems to be starting to calm down – and both students and teachers alike seem to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

The most recent survey sent out by the Franklin Public School system gave students two options: The former was for high schoolers to attend their classes fully online, and give up a hybrid-based learning plan entirely. The latter allowed students to be present in the building itself, with two cohorts instead of three. These decisions were steadfast, and kids would be held to their preferred style of learning until the end of the school year.

While both options have their pros and cons, many students opted for the in-person learning plan. Mental health, a sense of routine, and confidence in new Covid-19 protocols all contributed heavily to this arrangement as various high schoolers from all grade levels prepare to return to the FHS building.

The Franklin Public School System administered a reopening plan that goes into remote vs in-person details. (Avery Chalk)

“I just wanted to get back to a normal schedule“, Sophomore Ciara McQuade explains. This seems to be a common theme among many other teens across the world – sitting at a desk day after day can certainly be exhausting. For those who feel like their daily routine was too expected, something to break up the monotony might be just what the doctor ordered. 

healthy mindset is also crucial to a good learning environment. Without resources like a counselor, or even peers to talk to every day, going to school can be draining. Bettering their mental health and  emotional well-being were strong factors for students who elected the two-cohort option. If you or a friend is struggling with mental health, be sure to visit the Mental Health hotline, here

Mandates have been lifted in most US schools from six to three feet distances. (Creative Commons)

Another new aspect of the revised in-person learning plan is the switch from a 6 to a 3-foot distance between classmates. Masks, sanitization, and contact tracing procedures would still be enforced to ensure safety, but with an influx of returning students, a 6-foot range is simply not feasible. This new policy hasn’t deterred the returnees, however. As long as masks are worn and desks are wiped down, the general student body doesn’t seem to have a problem with the fresh guidelines.

Staying online has an appeal as well – there are certainly some things that in-person students will miss about their school being through a computer. According to McQuade, “sleeping in more”, is a major plus for the remote team. Being able to roll out of bed and open a laptop in time for first period is something worth getting used to if you chose to stay home. However, for a select group of students, the pros outweigh the cons – and they can’t wait to step foot into FHS regularly again.