Do You Even “Wordle”?

Five+letters.+Thats+all+that+stands+between+you+and+the+sweet+feeling+of+victory.+

Grace Tucceri

Five letters. That’s all that stands between you and the sweet feeling of victory.

Grace Tucceri, Writer

Let’s face it: everyone’s talking about that little game where you guess a five letter word.

That little game is Wordle, which quickly took the world by storm and has been dubbed a “pandemic obsession” by The Washington Post. Millions of people around the globe open up their devices every morning in hopes of guessing the day’s secret word in six tries or less. 

Wordle’s rising traction across social media platforms like TikTok and Instagram has introduced teens to the hit game. Many high school students play it in their free time, sometimes putting aside a few minutes of their free period to solve the daily puzzle. 

“Oh my gosh, I love Wordle so much!” exclaims junior Avery Chalk. “Except for when the words are really hard! What even is a knoll?” 

Oh my god, I love Wordle so much! Except for when the words are really hard! What even is a knoll?

— Avery Chalk, Grade 11

Even though the game has its challenges, Wordle keeps players coming back for more. Players work hard to keep up their streak, catch onto patterns, and even learn new words along the way. The game’s massive fanbase has spawned numerous knockoffs, such as an amusing Taylor Swift version. 

However, not all students are pleased with the game’s popularity. Some don’t understand the hype. 

“Every mom on Facebook is constantly posting about it,” says sophomore John Fitzhenry. “The cryptic squares posted to the site confuse me.”

Others dislike the game’s older demographic and have no desire of sharing similar interests as adults, let alone their parents.  

“I feel like Wordle has the same audience as Wheel of Fortune,” junior Max Santiago notes. 

While Wordle might not be everyone’s cup of tea, it definitely serves as a little escape for many. The trend may not last forever, but it’s just what the world needs right now amidst the chaos we face on a day-to-day basis.