Libraries and Curriculums Contributing to Censorship in Literature

Arianne Moelders, Writer

Books with trends of racial issues and other topics of race, especially books that highlight American history of racial injustice and racism, are being removed from school curriculums and libraries.

Mrs. Seiler, an English teacher at Franklin High School (FHS) voiced how she feels about taking away books that show America’s history and how we cannot erase our history especially if we want to move forward from it. She also says uncomfortableness from topics like these may be expected and that sometimes serious topics will make us uncomfortable.

Similarly, more books also have uncomfortable topics including sexual assault. Especially in the book Lolita a harsh book that involves major topics of rape, kidnapping as well as other books including Speak which also speaks about sexual assault.

Mrs. Seiler said she believes these books should not be banned but should be used as a conversation, especially with students and people in general who may have current or past traumatic experiences and having guidance and support while reading these books. 

Mrs. Seiler also attributed the supportiveness of FHS, as books that have been and are banned in other libraries and curriculums are currently being read at FHS, including Of Mice and Men, The Great Gatsby, Catcher in the Rye, and more. She stated that FHS is not only supportive of students but they want students to be able to handle tougher topics.