Franklin 21, North Attleboro 20; Panthers squeak by Red Rocketeers for big win

FHS Smug mug

Franklin’s Emmett Lackey (#5), a senior captain, jumps with a teammate following the coin toss vs. North Attleboro

Ryan Martin, Editor

The Following is an adopted article courtesy of New England Football Journal

NORTH ATTLEBORO – For the first time since 2015, Franklin traveled to Community Field for a matchup against North Attleboro. The visitors hung onto a 21-20 win thanks to some late stops in a game where points came in bunches.

Fresh off a bye week, the Red Rocketeers (2-1) came out of the gates firing. Sophomore QB Chase Frisoli and company picked up two first downs to start the night, finding themselves at their own 49 yardline. Using an I-formation they relied on all night, Frisoli faked a handoff right and flicked it left for a charging Nathan Shultz. Shultz, a senior captain, made a Panther miss and tip-toed the sideline 51 yards to the house.

Franklin Head Coach Eian Bain (centered) leads the Panthers out pregame (via FHS Smug mug)

The visitors were able to answer seven minutes later. Franklin (3-1) and head coach Eian Bain relied on their RPO-based offense through senior QB Jase Lyons. Lyons led a long drive before connecting with Derek Dubriske on a 24 yard TD to knot it back up at seven. Lyons would finish with three passing TDs on the day, with this score to Dubriske being the shortest.

Franklin started the second frame strong. A few plays in, Lyons hit senior Luke Davis on a ten yard hitch. Davis was able to make a defender miss, matching Shultz’s ability to tightrope the sideline as he ran in for a 31 yard score. A consistent big play threat, the touchdown gives Davis six trips to the end zone this season, with an average of 46 yards per TD reception.

Big Red looked to respond down 14-7, but threw a red zone interception to give the ball back to Franklin. First year head coach Mike Strachan partially pinned the close loss on the costly play.

“There’s going to be turnovers and penalties and at the end of the day, we didn’t win that battle. In a one point game, that’s what it is,” he said.

The Panthers went into halftime up 21-7 after a one play drive for Franklin put seven more points on the scoreboard. The score, which ended up being the visitors’ final points of the night, came on a 30-yard snag by Grayson Hunter over two defenders.

The second half saw both offenses take a back seat to the defenses. Both units forced multiple punts and quick opposing possessions until a rush by North’s Greg Berthiaume found the end zone on goal-to-go situation. Big Red showed signs of life entering he fourth down 21-14.

FHS’ student section, “Rattle City” (in white-out theme), smiles while supporting Franklin from Community Field (via FHS Smug mug)

The fourth was anyone’s game for the taking. Franklin was unable to move the ball against a resurging Rocketeer defense. After converting a fourth down, Frisoli took matters into his own hands, running it in from a yard out to make it 21-20 with just over three minutes to play. The game looked to be tied.

Not so fast.

On the ensuing extra point, a bad snap led to a chaotic effort by holder Kyle Conroy. The attempt for two failed, flipping the script as Franklin was up one and watched North’s onside kick go out of bounds.

The Panthers were unable to gain a game-sealing first down, punting one more time to give Big Red a shot at redemption, but the defense was up for the task, forcing a turnover-on-downs on fourth-and-15 with 36 seconds left.

Talking after the game, both Hockomock League coaches joked how the one-point victory could symbolize the competitive league this season.

“I tell people all the time: The Kelley-Rex [division] is like the Big 10.” Strachan said.

“Tell me the easy game in the Hock, I’d love to know.” Bain added.

Unfortunately for both coaches, the road doesn’t get any easier for either team. More Hockomock play is to come as Franklin will head to Taunton on Friday while North Attleboro will be back on the road at Milford.