Cards for Kids

As many students already know, Community Service Club is the newest addition to Franklin High’s seemingly infinite list of after school activities.  It began at the end of the 2010 school year and has progressed to include over 50 members!  The club’s first fundraiser of the year, a card drive for “Cards for Kids”, will take place this week on Tuesday and Thursday during lunch.  Cards for Kids, founded by Franklin High School Senior Haley Burgess, began in November 2009.  In addition to being recognized as an “Everyday Young Hero” by Youth Service America, Haley has been interviewed on FOX25 Morning News TV and WCVB Morning News TV for her accomplishments.

Haley explains CFK as: “Cards for Kids is a project in which handmade and painted cards are sent to children and youth worldwide facing poverty, homelessness, or a difficult situation. Since CFK began, hundreds of volunteers all the way from England to Canada to Australia to the US have been inspired to make cards and over 6,000 cards have been made! The cards are sent to over 20 organizations/shelters/hospitals worldwide such as Children’s Hospital Boston, McLean Hospital, Shriners Hospital for Children, To Write Love on Her Arms (TWLOHA), Hearts in Unity in Tanzania Africa, Safe Passage in Guatemala, and New Life Children’s Home in the Philippines among many other places.”

During lunch, students will have the opportunity to assist in the mission of “Opening Up a Smile” by writing uplifting messages in handmade cards donated by a company called Stampington.  The cards will then be hand-delivered to children and families at the Boston Ronald McDonald House and a patient family home at the Boston Children’s Hospital in an effort to brighten their day.  Keep in mind, taking a couple minutes to write a few simple words of encouragement can directly bring a smile to the face of a child in need of one.  You can make a difference, even if it is to only one life at a time.  To learn more about ways to help and get involved, check out the Cards for Kids website at http://www.wix.com/cardsforkids/cards-for-kids or email [email protected].