Into the Words

Time flies when you’re having fun, but does it really slow down when you’re not?

The Literary Guild is a club at Franklin High School that meets approximately every month and discusses a specific piece of literature, but also the deeper meaning of it and how it relates to life.

When asked about the importance of pausing to think in life, Ffion Titmuss, a member of the guild, retorted with a question of her own.

“What is the point of existing if we are constantly moving on to the next assignment, and the next, and the next, without really enjoying ourselves and living in the meantime?”

This is the type of question typically asked during a meeting of the Guild.

Titmuss went on to say that opportunities for higher thinking are a crucial part of life. She says that the Guild gives her a reason to read for fun and actually stop and relish the moment.

Members of the guild, aptly described by Mr. Dibona, “love the feel, the heft of a book,” as opposed to television shows or even digital books on a computer or e-reader.

In today’s world where events and people seem to be moving faster and faster with every day that goes by, Mr Dibona says that books provide a place where students in the Guild can pause and immerse themselves in the words and then share what they have found with others who are also interested.

The next meeting will be on April 2 in room 332, and they will be discussing the novel “Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe”.