What is FHS Alzheimer’s Awareness Club All About?

Learn what AAC has to offer.
Norah Maccallum
AAC had a great time at Club Fair this year.

Shay Kilroy, President of Franklin High School’s Alzheimer’s Awareness Club (AAC), has big plans for this year. The list of activities that will take place are amazing thanks to Ms. Quigley and her co-presidents Daniella Palladino, Liz Barry, and Ryan Taddeo! 

Kilroy joined AAC her freshman year, inspired by her grandmother’s diagnosis with Alzheimer’s disease when Kilroy was just 10 years old. Kilroy believes she is doing her grandmother proud by not just joining but also leading the club. Kilroy describes this club as “fun” and “uplifting.” 

Club Fair was a huge success with over 100 people joining the club this year. AAC is all about spreading awareness by educating people about the disease. 

For this year, the major activities that will be taking place are participating in awareness walks, bake sales, and visiting the elders at the Franklin senior center. When it comes to fundraising, all money raised goes directly to the Alzheimer’s Association to aid in future research. AAC meets every other Thursday in Room 213.

Kilroy believes that “not only people with Alzheimer’s are affected by this disease, but also friends and family who care for these individuals. This illness isn’t easy for anyone to deal with, but joining this club reassures everyone that there is hope.”