Junior Prom 2012

May fourth seems to be on everyone’s mind as it is the date of junior prom. Are you prepared yet? If not, here are some trends and tips to make you the highlight of prom night!

Try picking out the style you want your gown to be, then focus on color. You never know if your color preference will change once you try on the perfect dress. Accessories, hairstyles, and shoes should come after as they just add to your perfect look.

Beautyandstyle.com suggests finding length first; do you want short or long? Then, for the top of your dress, try one-shoulder numbers with rosettes for an added flair. Also, draped, one-shoulder dresses that flow down your body can make any girl look like a Greek Goddess. Sweetheart necklines and halters can never go wrong as well.

Dressmore.com goes into more detail: short dresses are perfect for girls looking to show off their legs or to look more youthful. Long dresses are breathtaking with a mermaid bottom, but draping and flow can create an angelic look. Try a strapless dress, the trend this year, to show off shoulders and collarbones.

This year, step out of your shell and be bold and edgy with cut outs, mid-thigh slits, and deep v-necks. Or look classic and sheek in sleek, traditional dresses. Either way, don’t be afraid to make a statement.

Jess Deaver, a junior, commented on the trends and her search. She said, “Well a trend I looked for was the mermaid style and it was easy to find because it is an established and common style. I only had to go to two prom shops before I found the perfect dress!”

Try Nordstrom for sophisticated colors and dresses that will make any girl look like a movie star walking the red carpet.

Internationalprom.com reveals 2012’s designers for prom. La Femme, Sherri Hill, Alyce Designs, Mac Duggal, Jovani, Tony Bowls, Riva Designs, and Jasz Couture are the most talked about.

Dresses can get expensive considering the prices for prom tickets. If you don’t want to spend the money, have no fear because Franklin High School offers second hand dresses for girls. Listen to the announcements as we get closer to prom and you will hear all about it; an excellent program to help out prom goers.

Kamal Bassma, a junior, didn’t seem to care much about this article. “To be totally honest, I have no idea what the trends are.” Seems like the men don’t pay close attention to the trends, something that shouldn’t come as that much of a surprise.

Elizabeth Landry, a junior, offered a different perspective. “I’m looking for something that not many people might pick… that reflects the kind of style I find beautiful.” When asked how dress shopping has been going, Elizabeth said, “I don’ think it’s very easy to find a dress but there are a lot of places to look so if you know what you want then it’s just a matter of time.”

To help narrow down what you want, choose your color next. Bright, bold colors are the trend this year as Tangerine Tango was named the color of the year. Bright purples and electric turquoises are other options for your dress.

Patterns are a continued hit from 2011 and can be a fun way to make a statement. Or try an ombre dress, which means the dress has a gradual fading of color. For those who want the traditional route, stark whites, black, and pastels are your best option.

Christopher Widdoes, Creative Director for Henri’s Cloud Nine and the Cool Book, says, “This year, everything glitters…big, chunky gems…bright, pretty colors and sparkle, lots and lots of sparkle is the theme for 2012 prom!”

Emily Natal, a junior, offered her opinion on the prom trends of 2012. “I think a lot of people are avoiding poofy dresses, probably because in the past, although they’ve looked nice, were uncomfortable at prom and made people sweat. So dresses with less tulle are being leaned towards, especially dresses with glitter and sparkles.” When asked how her search was going, Emily answered, “It’s difficult finding a dress because everything kind of looks the same online, so you have to look at dresses at the store. I’m personally waiting a few weeks for a different selection; it might make it easier.”

Seventeen Magazine adds that pearls, lace, studs and other punk inspired bling, and sparkles are the must have for dresses. You can even try looks that your favorite stars wear. Emma Stone, Lucy Hale, Amber Riley, Taylor Swift, Demi Lovato, Selena Gomez, Lea Michelle, Brittany Snow, and Keke Palmer continue to be style icons and great models for prom attire.

For more help, try Seventeen Magazine’s dress finder!

Accessories are a girls best friend and this year try belts, a new trend for 2012. They can add a little extra to your already beautiful gown. Of course earrings, necklaces, and amazing shoes are never out of season.

Finally, your hair must go with your overall look. Sideswept updo, chic and classy pouf, sleek pony, soft waves, bump, ballerina bun, twisted knot, headband twist, and boho braids are just some of the many suggestions given to girls by Seventeen Magazine.

Whatever you may choose, make sure you are comfortable and feel beautiful. This is an important night for many and will be remembered for the rest of your life. Don’t be afraid to stand out from the crowd because everyone deserves a Cinderella moment.

What are you most excited about for Prom?