Behind the Scenes of Legally Blonde

Franklin High’s Production Opens November 17th.

The Franklin High School Theater Company’s (FHSTC) production of Legally Blonde is in full swing, with actors preparing to stumble through acts. While the actors are in the spotlight, another, less known group is preparing for the big weekend in November. Legally Blonde’s tech team is working hard to build an amazing show. 

The brains behind the set is Hope Guanga, the Head of Set Design for the FHSTC. They’re a senior and have been with the company for four years and seven shows. They created the designs for the Lord of the Flies and Get Smart productions last year. They said they were trying to incorporate the infamous Get Smart turntable from last June, but that the plan ultimately fell through. Instead they created a set that incorporated projections and color schemes to bring different scenes to life and to amaze hundreds. Meanwhile, another major department is preparing for the big weekend.

The FHSTC tech team working on the set for Legally Blonde

The Head of Costuming, Will Heater, has been working hard on Legally Blonde since July. They are a senior and the specialist on everything costumes and makeup. Heater is playing Enid Hoopes in Legally Blonde, balancing both tech work and acting. Though there are a lot of ensemble members in this show, the costuming for them will be relatively easy. The color palette of the show will mostly be neutral and most of the costume pieces can be brought from home by the actors. Some actors will have harder costumes to deal with than others, but Heater has faced these problems before. This is their sixth year in theater as both an actor and tech, with last June’s Get Smart being their favorite show.

Now, how does a showrun? With construction and run crew, of course. Though only one voice is being heard from the tech crew, all are excited and intrigued by the set and how it will function, along with how the audience will react to the set. Today, the spotlight is being put on Maeve Derrick. They are a 15 year old sophomore that has been with the theater company for two years. Currently, Derrick is helping build the set for Legally Blonde and will be on the run crew for the show in November. They said that their favorite set was the turntable for Get Smart because it’s “a cool contraption and it spins,” but that their favorite show with the theater company was Cinderella from last November.

Tech work for the FHSTC’s Legally Blonde is in full swing and will be done by the shows on Nov. 17, 18, and 19. You can buy tickets to the show at this link that is also on the QR codes around the school, or at the door. Come to Legally Blonde so you can see everything being created by the FHSTC’s tech crew.