Unlocking the “1989 (Taylor’s Version)” Vault

Find out if your favorite track comes out on top!
Grace Tucceri
The online exclusive “Sunrise Boulevard” edition comes with five mini prints featuring unseen photos from the original “1989” photoshoot.

The world’s biggest pop superstar has outdone herself… again. Taylor Swift smashed not one, but two Spotify records with the release of the long-awaited 1989 (Taylor’s Version) on October 27. The album dethroned Swift’s Midnights as the most streamed album in a day and Swift overtook herself to become the most listened to artist in a day, too. Plus, 1989 (Taylor’s Version) skyrocketed to the top of music charts in 18 different countries, over 250,000 copies were sold on release day alone, and Swift became the first artist in history to occupy the top six spots on the Billboard Global 200 chart. Talk about an impact!

1989 (Taylor’s Version) not only benefits from more matured vocals and an overall sleeker production thanks to her good ol’ friend, Jack Antonoff. However, the addition of five never before heard vault tracks is what ultimately sets the album apart from its predecessor that was released over nine years ago. Below is my comprehensive ranking of the vault tracks, but beware! This list may be controversial to the biggest fans since I’m well aware of how not everyone in the FHS Swiftie community agrees with my hot takes.

#5. Suburban Legends

Initial thoughts: It’s cute. It’s fun. It’s short and sweet. Nothing super special, though. 

Standout lyric: I had the fantasy that maybe our mismatched star signs would surprise the whole school

Track rating: 7/10

#4. “Slut!”

Initial thoughts: I had high hopes for this one considering its spicy title. Yes, I was a bit underwhelmed by how low-key the song is, but no, that doesn’t mean I don’t like it. It’s just not the next So It Goes… to me (100% BEST SONG ON REP).

Standout lyric: In a world of boys, he’s a gentleman

Track rating: 7.5/10

Lyrics from the vault songs – in this case, “Say Don’t Go” – are displayed on the back of each mini print alongside two bonus photos. (Grace Tucceri)

#3. Say Don’t Go

Initial thoughts: A bit too similar to Clean at first, this track progressively gets more enjoyable after each listen. Oh, and the chorus slaps! There’s no other way to word it. 

Standout lyric: Why’d you have to lead me on? Why’d you have to twist the knife? Walk away and leave me bleedin’, bleedin’?

Track rating: 8/10

#2. Now That We Don’t Talk

Initial thoughts: As Swift’s shortest song in her entire discography, this one sure packs a punch! I love the snarky lyrics towards the end and the Bejeweled-esque sound to this one.

Standout lyric: I don’t have to pretend I like acid rock/Or that I’d like to be on a mega yacht

Track rating: 8.5/10

#1. Is It Over Now?

Initial thoughts: This isn’t just Swift’s best vault track from 1989. It might be one of her best songs ever written. 

Standout lyric: THE ENTIRE BRIDGE. I mean, just look at it:

Swifties can collect all four different colored editions of “1989 (Taylor’s Version)” like the “Sunset Boulevard” and “Rose Garden” ones shown above. (Grace Tucceri)

And did you think I didn’t see you?

There were flashin’ lights

At least I had the decency

To keep my nights out of sight

Only rumors ’bout my hips and thighs

And my whispered sighs

Oh, Lord, I think about jumpin’

Off of very tall somethings

Just to see you come runnin’

And say the one thing I’ve been wanting, but no

Track rating: 10/10

In conclusion, the 1989 (Taylor’s Version) vault has no skips and could be considered the strongest across her four re-recordings. I will be furious if Is It Over Now? doesn’t go down in Swiftstory as a masterpiece, too. And finally, I thank you for reading, dear reader. Now please stream New Romantics (Taylor’s Version) as much as possible since it deserves to be Ms. Swift’s next lead single.

About the Contributor
Grace Tucceri
Grace Tucceri, Editor and Writer
Grace is finally a senior at FHS and cannot believe it's her fourth (and final) year at Pantherbook! This year, she runs Varsity Cross Country, serves as Student Government Treasurer, and executive produces the weekly Panther TV newscast. She also contributed a movie review to Headliners in Education, a national student news site, and partook in the New England High School Journalism Collaborative over the summer. Grace plans on attending college for broadcast journalism since her main goal in life is to report live on TV for a major network.