Cheap Prices, Conscious Choices

It’s time to explore the wondrous world of thrift shopping.
Penny Keenan
Various thrift finds from local stores.

Everyone’s heard of thrift shopping. We all know of it, but it’s a little overwhelming to try and figure out how and where to get started, so here’s a simple guide on why and how to make use of the beauty of buying secondhand! At the end of this article will be a gallery featuring a number of the author’s thrift finds and their prices. 

Fist of all, we can start by understanding why it’s so important to thrift.

Thrifting is an earth-lover’s dream; it prevents garments from going to landfills and doesn’t contribute to the greenhouse gasses produced by fashion factories. When one thrifts, no new garments are put into the world. The statistics of sustainable fashion are already worrying enough as is, so there’s no need to worsen them.

The truth of the matter is that, according to The Roundup’s article on textile waste facts, “up to 100 billion garments are produced by the fashion industry every year. And each year, as much as 92 million tons of clothing ends up in landfills(Ruiz). Most of the fast fashion companies responsible for much of this waste have been linked to well-proven human rights violations and unsafe working conditions.

People often excuse shopping at these fast fashion powerhouses such as Shein, H&M, Zara, and many more by reasoning that they have the most affordable prices. There is no denying the appeal of this to high school students. Many are trying to save as much money for the future as they can, but resorting to unethicality is not the only option.

100 billion garments are produced by the fashion industry every year.

— Arabella Ruiz

Thrifting is an equally cheap alternative that is much safer for the earth and for workers, and it will usually leave you with a better-quality garment. If you have the means of getting to a thrift store and have the privilege of being able to choose between thrifting and fast fashion, make the right decision.

Thrifting allows you to make use of clothing that would otherwise go to waste. Over 80% of donated textiles go to landfills, so never be afraid to utilize this amazing resource!

That being said, there are a lot of different ideas of thrifting. From Goodwill bins to consignment shops, it’s hard to know where to start! To combat that, here is some advice on how to get started and what to expect.

From tank tops to winter coats, the racks at Savers are filled with an ever-changing variety of clothing! (Penny Keenan)

Thrift stores that are good to start at are the ones that people will think of when they hear the word ‘thrift’: Goodwill or Savers. These stores don’t carry a selective stock, so they all have a lot of clothes. There may be a lot to look through before you find something that fits your style, but it’s all worth it to find that diamond in the rough. Not to mention the prices! These stores are made to be affordable, so if you’re looking to save money for whatever reason this is a perfect option.

Go with a mission and an open mind! If you have a specific style or color palette in mind, it makes it so much easier to see the potential in pieces. You can even try to look for something to upcycle!

Spend a good chunk of time at the thrift store. It’s very hard to get a good idea of what it has to offer just from a glance, so make sure to sift through a good number of racks before calling it quits!

Don’t be discouraged if you can’t source an entire wardrobe from your very first visit! The more you thrift, the easier it will be to see potential in different pieces, and by your third or fourth trip, you’ll already be a pro at spotting pieces you’ll love. 

To recap, if you are at all interested in affordability and sustainability, thrift stores are perfect for you! No matter how or when you decide to start, you’re sure to have lots of fun, and you can almost always walk away with something. 

Last but not least, always remember to bring your hand sanitizer!

About the Contributor
Penny Keenan
Penny Keenan, Writer
Currently a freshman at FHS, this is Penny's year with Pantherbook. She has always had a passion for writing and other forms of art. Penny is also part of A World of Difference. In her free time, she likes to hike, crochet, paint, go thrift shopping, and listen to/make music. She enjoys writing about her favorite hobbies and looks forward to bringing new topics into her Pantherbook articles.