Celebrities or Diplomats?

How celebrities are siding on the Israel and Palestine Conflict
Ted Eytan
Israel and Palestine supporters in Washington DC. (Photo of a protest by Ted Eytan under CC BY-SA 2.0)

As major violence in the Israel-Palestine conflict continues and kills thousands, many people in the U.S. are showing support for different sides. Celebrities are no exception. Many have made or are continuing to make statements about the conflict. Celebrities such as Gal Gadot, Chris Pine, and Kris Jenner are just a few out of 700 celebrities who signed a letter to support Israel. On the other side of the conflict, a letter to Joe Biden asking for a cease-fire in Gaza was signed in October by celebrities such as Jenna Ortega, Bradley Cooper, and Mark Ruffalo. On TikTok and other social platforms, people continue to support or ridicule celebrities on their stance or lack of stance.

Actor Mark Ruffalo was one of many Hollywood stars who signed a letter to president Biden to show support for cease-fire in Gaza. (Photo of Mark Ruffalo by Gage Skidmore under CC BY-SA 2.0) (Gage Skidmore)

With celebrities on both sides of the conflict, their difference in beliefs is no different from those of normal people around the world. A Quinnipiac University survey shows how people split up on this issue. The data shows that one of the largest dividers is age. People in the age range of 18-34 showing more support for Palestine while people 35 and older show more support for Israel.

Some celebrities facing extreme backlash include Melissa Barrera and Noah Schnapp. Noah Schnapp has been “canceled” for his siding with Israel, and studios are receiving hate for not firing him. On the other hand, Melissa Barrera was fired from Scream VII for showing her support for Palestine.

Israeli actress and model Gal Gadot has taken a stand in support of Israel. (Photo of Gal Gadot by Gage Skidmore under CC BY-SA 2.0) (Gage Skidmore)

A big question is if celebrity support is doing anything to help the conflict. The inevitable answer is probably no. Not to say that celebrities have no influence, but the people they influence often have no involvement in what is actually happening. Additionally, celebrities might have facts and connections to the situation but lack a perfect perspective. Celebrities have the right to voice their opinions, but unfortunately, the bias they present can also spread false information. They post on a platform susceptible to hate, and receive negative comments for much of what they say. While believing in something is respectable, there must also be a thorough understanding of what one is stating. Celebrities must understand how their influence may distract people from what really matters.

About the Contributor
Isabella Trull
Isabella Trull, Editor and Writer
Isabella Trull is a Junior in her third year with Pantherbook. She enjoys writing all types of articles involving the school community. Isabella is a Model Congress officer and plays for the Girl's Tennis Team. In addition to writing, she also loves reading in her free time. She is looking forward to writing more articles this year and getting to know community members through Pantherbook.