Clustering in the Halls

Hallways are a student’s pathway to each class, not a place to stand around and block others from getting to class.

It has come to the attention of many that the hallways are constantly crowded with other students who stand in front of lockers or in the middle of the hall. It is true that hallways are a great time to say a quick hello to a friend and get your books, but it is not a time for lengthy conversations.

Either students will stop in the middle of the hall, obstructing a clear path for students racing to their next class, or stand directly against another’s locker. Another problem, addressed by Haley McCarthy, a junior, is “People walk incredibly slow. It’s ridiculous!”.

McCarthy also adds, “The problems are the PDA in front of lockers and the people who just stand wherever they like and tell their friends every little thing they did the day before. Save it for after school or lunch.” She’s right; lunch and after school are the appropriate times to catch up with friends, not during five minute passings.

Another student, Katie Goodfellow, a sophomore, explained in length her issues with the clustering in the halls. She said, “I have to go from D wing to K wing in five minutes and its really hard when people are walking incredibly slow in the hallways. The entrance of C wing is a nightmare. There’s not even enough time during the breaks between classes. I really believe the school should reinstate the eight minute locker break.” The eight minute break would cut into class time, but it might help out those who don’t get to go to their locker to get books during each break.

One last issue is that clustering in the hallways is a safety issue, an issue McCarthy agreed with. Some students get shoved by accident by those not looking and some even fall trying to maneuver their way around others. It’s simple: be respectful to others trying to make their way to their classes and save the long talks for another time.