Pokemon Generation 6 was Just Announced (and I Want You to Try it)

Confession: I’m an avid Pokemon player.  My brother handed me a copy of Pokemon Crystal at age six and I’ve been hooked ever since.  I spent many a night as a child suffocating under a blanket with a flashlight fixed on my Gameboy, playing for as long as I could until I ran out of air.  (They didn’t have built-in backlights back then and bedtime was 8:30.) Twelve years later, the Pokemon fad has faded but loyal fans continue to play the games.

For those who’ve never played, Pokemon games are adventure-based, where your character explores a region inhabited by animal-like creatures called Pokemon.  The typical game entails defeating other Pokemon trainers in battle with the ultimate goal of become the champion of the Pokemon League- meaning you’re the greatest thing since sliced bread.  And sometimes you combat the evil plans of some criminal organizations along the way.  It’s a good time.

History Lesson! The first Pokemon game was released in 1996, and has since become a monstrous franchise, spurring a television show, movies, toys, a trading card series, and more.  To date, there have been 5 “generations” of Pokemon games, each bringing new Pokemon to catch, regions to explore, and improved sound and graphics.

Andrew Cyr, a senior, fondly recalled to me his days of playing Pokemon.

“I had a pretty good time playing it back in the day,” said Cyr, who went on to tell me about his Pokemon of choice.

“I had a Pikachu and a Zapdos.  They were the best.”  When asked why he had two electric types in his party of six Pokemon he aptly responded, “Because I’m a boss and I do what I want.”

“I guess it’s respectable that some people keep playing, though personally I’m not happy with the changes Nintendo has made,” he finished.

On January 8th, much earlier than expected, Nintendo announced the October 2013 release of Pokemon X and Y, the first games of Pokemon’s 6th generation.  Nothing like we’ve ever seen indeed!  Check out the trailer!

X and Y are truly the first of their kind, featuring 3 renderings of each of the hundreds of Pokemon rather than the sprites players have become accustomed to.  The game is compatible only with the Nintendo 3DS system, the game is now more… 3D. Like each new generation, there are new cities to explore and over 100 new Pokemon to catch!  With a re-vamped but equally exciting experience, now is as good a time as ever to get in the game.

“But isn’t it for kids?”  That’s what you’re thinking right now.  I know it for sure.  I do.

Pokemon is a game of strategy- succeeding means battling smart.  You need to know which types of Pokemon will put you at an advantage or disadvantage to your opponent.  You need the finesse to solve very visually-involved puzzles and the determination to grind for the experience points to make your Pokemon stronger.  There’s a lot to learn, making it far from childish.

Maybe it’s just nostalgia, but I have a lot of pride in the six little clusters of pixels I’ve been battling with since 2009.  (Ask me about my gastrodon, her name is Lorraine.) The satisfaction you get from doing well in a game like Pokemon is indescribable.

If you’re like me and Pokemon is a treasured part of your childhood, now is a good time to rekindle the old flame; each new game comes with the potential of being the last.  Indeed, the days of the pocket monster are numbered!

If you haven’t played before, I guarantee you that it’s worth a shot.