Boys Hockey Knocked Off by Framingham

The Panthers hockey team, 5th seed, was upset Saturday, 4-1, at The Gallo to 13th seed, Framingham High.

It was a nerve wrecking start for the Panthers as the first five shots of the game were taken by Framingham, leaving many areas of opportunity.

While there were many turnovers in both the neutral and defensive zone, the Panthers did not slow down. Early in the second period, Senior Randy Gilbert got a goal off a rebound. Framingham fans and players pushed for a high stick call, but the goal was awarded to Gilbert. This was the only goal Franklin was able to pull off.

It was the Panthers first year in the Division 1 tournament, so making it past the preliminary rounds was exciting for the fans of FHS.

“I’ve been watching the boys team play since I was a freshman. When I heard they were moving to D1 this year I honestly was nervous, I knew they were a strong team but, we lost a lot of valuable seniors last year.” says senior Kristina Hendron. 

The team is having mixed reactions to their loss.

“Obviously we would love to go on longer in the tournament and end up back in the garden to take care of some unfinished business” says Junior Kyle Lundgren.

“But this season has been amazing. Before the season, people had said we had no shot in D1 and since we lost a couple games vs Malden Catholic and other high ranked teams, we lost some fans and our morale was at an all time low.”

“By the end of the season we all came together as a team, having one focus and ended up having a great season. I’m going to miss our seniors, it was heartbreaking seeing them go but it gave us Juniors motivation inspiring us for next year. hoohah” adds Lundgren

“The last three years of my varsity career has been a ride. I wish we could have made it to the garden again but personally going the last two years for me was incredible. I’m going to miss the boys and the times we shared, but it will never be forgotten” says Senior Mike Donadio

The sad ending to the season could only inspire upcoming Juniors and Seniors to achieve greatness next year.