How to Retire At Age 26

Rashard Mendenhall, now former NFL running back, has made the shocking decision to end his career early and retire from professional football at age 26.

The former Steelers and Cardinals running back claimed that he is leaving the game not due to injury concerns, gripes over getting paid, not getting a starting role, or lack of skill but due to the fact that he just does not want to play football anymore.

“Today, game-day cameras follow the most popular players on teams” said Mendenhall, who seems to be fed up with how the modern day NFL is run. He has a point too, not only in the NFL but in all major sports society glamorizes each team’s most popular player.

Mendenhall would go on to state that ” guys who dance after touchdowns are extolled on Dancing With the Stars; games are analyzed and brought to fans without any use of coaches tape; practice non-participants are reported throughout the week for predicted fantasy value; and success and failure for skill players is measured solely in stats and fantasy points.”

It seems like the limelight was a little too bright for this player, something you don’t see too often in the NFL.

“That’s a little strange to see a player retire at such a young age.” said FHS senior (and former football player) Adam Lynch.

“Some guys are really vocal, you know they like to be noticed, other player just like to come in and do their job without being heard from at all” continued Lynch. It seems like Mendalhall falls into the latter category.

Mendenhall summarized his reasons for retiring by sating he was no longer willing “to put my body at risk for the sake of entertainment.” Whether you like it or not, it’s his life and you have to respect his decision.

So what do you think of this early retirement option?

How do you feel about Rashard Mendenhall's retirement?