Fall Sports Preview

FHS+scoreboard+at+Pisani+Field.+Photo+by+Izzy+Trull+
FHS scoreboard at Pisani Field. Photo by Izzy Trull

While most of FHS was busy enough thinking about the first day of school, getting summer work done, and just the stress and excitement of the start of a new year, many students were back into their sports seasons. With official practice or tryouts starting the week before school starts, and captain’s practices stretching throughout the summer, these fall sports athletes have been working hard to guarantee success for their teams. Here is a preview of’ all the sports representing Franklin this fall.

The girls cross country team starts a meet at Dacey Field. Photo from SmugMug.

Girls Cross Country has had a successful last few years. From being Kelly-Rex Champions and placing second at Hocks, to stand-out runners competing in the state meet. Captains Alex Batla, Katie Sweeny, and Emily Matteson say “The big goal for the team is to make it to states this year” (rather than individuals). The captains envison achieving this goal by “having teammates pushing each other and sticking together”.

Boys Cross Country has also made an impact in the Hockomock league, placing two runners in the top 30 at last years meet. The team is in the running for Hockomock Champions this year and can do so with the help of leadership, like captains Jonathan Pink, Josh Diehl, and Jason Huff. Their goal for the season is “making people work as hard as possible while still trying to have fun and enjoy the sport”.

The Girls Soccer team was Kelly-Rex Champions last year, showing off their dominance by making a deep run into the playoffs. Like many other teams, their goal is to be number one in the Hockomock league this season. Captains Allison Powderly, Madison Horton, and Anya Zub think that

The Boys Soccer team runs across the field after a scrimmage. Photo from SmugMug.

can happen if they “work together as a cohesive team”. “A good team is only as strong as its weakest player”.

Boys Soccer had a great season last year, surviving many tough playoff rounds as well as being Kelly-Rex Champions. Their sucess is certain to continue as they have 13 returning players that are likely to make a huge impact on the team with the help of key players and captains Rex Cinelli and Andrew O’Neil.

The Franklin Football team is younger than years prior as many key players have graduated, but the combination of improving underclassmen and veterans are sure to lead them to success. However, the bar is high because the team made it to the Division 1 state quarterfinals last year. Senior captains Ben Ryan, Jack Nutter, and Mike Davide are “looking to help continue [their] ways and do it better than it’s been done, day by day, week by week.”

The Cheer team has had many sucessful seasons in their past, including non-fall seasons, where they dominated many competitions. The captains this year are Riley Mackay and Lauren Olivo who are hoping for another great season.

The FHS Golf team will have a mix of underclassmen looking to make an impact on their team and experienced athletes like senior CJ Steel, who placed 3rd at the Hockomock match last year. The team ended up in 4th pace at the match and has been a dominant force in the Kelly-Rex for the past few seasons.

The varsity field hockey team of 2022. Photo from SmugMug.

Field Hockey has been champions of the Hockomock League for 5 years in a row and are looking to extend their streak. Captains Lindsay Dennett and Sophia Cuneo provided the motto “One team. One mission.” Emphasizing their value of teamwork in sport. These captains can lead the team to another undefeated season in the Hockomock, even with the loss of graduated talent.

Last, but certainly not least, the Volleyball team. These players have faced tough competition throughout their seasons, but have been Kelly-Rex champions for the past 5 years. This great feat was helped by the sheer amount of talent on the team. Two Hockomock all-stars are returning, including captain Taylor Lacerda. Taylor “can already tell that [their] team is going to be super strong and hard working”.

Good luck to all the teams this season, make sure to support Franklin by attending any competitions you can! Schedules are posted on Pantherbook and Arbiter Live.

About the Contributor
Fiona Morrison
Fiona Morrison, Editor and Writer
Fiona is a junior and third-year writer for Pantherbook. She is on the FHS girls' cross country, basketball, and lacrosse teams. As well as being in Pantherbook, Fiona participates in Model Congress, SADD, and is a percussionist in the FHS band. She is excited to continue her Junior year on Pantherbook!