How To Stay Committed to Your New Year’s Resolutions

It’s never too late to set goals!
Merissa Nijo
A common and popular list of resolutions for the new year.

Why are we all failing to stay consistent with our New Year’s resolutions?

Maybe it’s because we all decide to set the craziest resolutions, whether it be waking up at 4:00 AM or doing our homework right when we get home. Every year, we set these unrealistic expectations, lose motivation, and give up by the third day. So how do we stay consistent?

1. Set realistic goals
  2. Create a plan
  3. Track your progress
  4. Stay positive 

We have our four pieces of advice, but what do they mean and how do we implement them? Let’s talk about goal setting. When we set goals we have to make sure that they agree with our lifestyle, and most importantly they have to be achievable

Next, create a plan. Creating a plan allows you to visualize your success in the future, and move forward with your goals. It helps you create deadlines for yourself to meet; to keep you consistent with your goals. Equally important is tracking your progress; having history to look back on keeps you responsible and prevents you from deviating from routine. 

The final piece of advice is to stay positive. Staying positive ensures that we persevere through the tumultuous periods. Positivity helps us accept that everyone has setbacks, but we have to acknowledge them and move forward. But the most important thing to remember is discipline. Losing discipline means that you fall back into the same vicious cycle of trying for three days and then giving up. 

DON’T GIVE UP!

About the Contributor
Merissa Nijo
Merissa Nijo, Writer
Merissa Nijo is a junior and this is her first year with Pantherbook. She is a Science Olympiad and Unified Sports officer and plays on the FHS Unified Basketball team. In addition to writing and taking photos, Merissa likes to read and paint. She is looking forward to her first year in Pantherbook since she'll get to know the community better.