Falling Back Into a Routine

Back to Article
Back to Article

Falling Back Into a Routine

Emily Vinson

As the school year starts back up again, students must get back into their normal routine. Waking up early, studying for tests, making time for extracurricular activities such as sports and clubs, managing time for homework, and getting the recommended amount of sleep are just some of the things students have been adjusting to since the start of the fall school year.

If you want some tips on how to make adjusting from summer to school easier, here are a few:

1. Work on your time management. Many students at Franklin High School play sports 5-6 days a week and participate in clubs or other activities. When doing this, it can be a struggle for some to make enough time to do their homework or study after sports. Anna Balkus, a junior who plays soccer, vocalized that it can be stressful to do homework on the weekdays because of her soccer schedule, noting it is hard to find the time for homework and studying. Some things you can do to better manage your schoolwork during the week are studying early for tests/quizzes and starting long-term assignments earlier rather than later. This will help you in the long run when trying to fit time in for schoolwork.
  2. Get as much sleep as possible. Sleep is essential to the health and wellbeing of teenagers, so it is important to get enough rest for the following day. One teen, Megan Torrey, a junior, says she gets about 7 hours of sleep a night on average. Although, Torrey voices, “I know when I get up I haven’t gotten enough sleep.” Torrey isn’t the only high school student who isn’t getting the recommended amount of sleep. According to an article by the American Academy of Sleep Medicine, it is recommended that teens, ages 13-18, should get 8-10 hours of sleep per night. However, a study by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention shows that 69% of teens get less than this amount. It can be hard with extracurricular activities, but a good night’s sleep is beneficial to your health and will make you feel recharged for the day ahead of you. Also, it will be easier to get up early come the morning.
  3. Stay organized. With so many folders, notebooks, textbooks, binders, papers, writing utensils, etc., it can be hard to keep things neat in your backpack. One tip is to always file your papers in a folder for the particular subject. This way, there are no loose papers in your bag that are ripped or torn in any way, and you are able to locate the paper for reference if you need it again. Also, keep a pencil pouch handy for writing utensils in your backpack so you don’t need to ask a teacher or peer for a pencil every class. A planner might also be helpful for some to write down their homework for each class for reference later.

These key tips are sure to make the transition to the school year easier, and hopefully you are able to utilize these tips for better time management and organization. Have a great year!

• Falling Back Into a Routine

Student Life

FHS Does Paint Night

• Falling Back Into a Routine

Event Calendar

Franklin High School Peer Leaders Collect Donations for Light Up A Life

• Falling Back Into a Routine

Student Life

The Room Where it Happens – Bio Class at FHS

• Falling Back Into a Routine

Student Life

A Day in The Life Of FHS

• Falling Back Into a Routine

Student Life

A Day in the Life at FHS

• Falling Back Into a Routine

Student Life

Community Service

• Falling Back Into a Routine

Student Life

Gifts Galore!

• Falling Back Into a Routine

Student Life

A Day in the Life at FHS

• Falling Back Into a Routine

Student Life

A Day in the Life of FHS

• Falling Back Into a Routine

Student Life

A Day in the Life – FHS

Falling Back Into a Routine