Come to the Cabaret!

FHS Theatre Dept.

Cabaret will be presented Wednesday 10/15 and Thursday 10/16 in the FHS Auditorium at 7:30 PM.

Emma Nicholson, Writer

Willkommen, Bienvenue, Welcome–On October 16 and 17 at 7:30 PM, the Franklin High School Theatre Department will present “Cabaret” in the FHS auditorium.

Cabaret–not to be confused with the 1966 Tony-winning-musical, “Cabaret“–is an annual production presented by Franklin High School theatre students. This year, the production will feature Theatre Arts III: Performing Arts Company. Cabaret is a long-time tradition that continues this year under the direction of new FHS theatre teacher Mr. Grossman.

BroadwayWorld

This year, the production takes a new form. Mr. Grossman offered some insight into this new version of Cabaret, saying “Our class wanted to create a dynamic approach, which allowed these students to be the driving force behind the production.  While we are staying true to the theme of “self-creation,” the Cabaret is shifting its format to include short plays from a Neo-Futurist piece called Too Much Light Makes the Baby Go Blind. ” To read more about what to expect from this new Cabaret approach, check out Andrew Falanga’s article here: https://franklinpanthers.us/ae/2019/10/03/too-much-talent-makes-the-audience-go-blind/

Cabaret will consist of a variety of student-written skits and previously published scenes from plays. “This is a classroom-based production,” says Mr. Grossman. “While we are working from the play on many fronts, the students have also embraced the short-sketch theme and have created their own short plays.  We want to provide our audience with a polished, yet not over-produced outcome (this is indicated in the authors note of Too Much Light Makes the Baby Go Blind).”

Emma Nicholson
Students rehearse for Cabaret 2018. Check out this year’s production to see what’s changed for Theatre III this year

Students taking Theatre III have likely taken the pre-requisite courses of Theatre Arts I and II, giving them a more extensive background in the theatre department. Theatre Arts classes help students develop performance and theatrical skills through improvisation, skits, scenes, and even dance numbers. As for Cabaret, Mr. Grossman says that “This project goes beyond the ability to speak confidently on the stage, but taps into the notion of what is required to be on a team; be a part of a performing arts company, as the course is titled.” 

As far as the traditional aspects of Cabaret, Mr. Grossman says that “Much of the content will be reminiscent from previous Cabaret productions, as to keep and instill the traditions that had been implemented in the past.”

Mr. Grossman looks forward to presenting his first-ever Cabaret as the FHS theatre teacher!

Cabaret will be presented in the Franklin High School auditorium on October 16th and 17th at 7:30 PM. Tickets are $5 for students. The money raised will be used towards the FHS Theatre department and their future performances.

Please come and support the hard work of your fellow Franklin High School students and Come to the Cabaret!